Going with the flow 22/05/2016


We have been having quite a bit of stormy wet weather this past few days and the local stream is full again for the first time in quite a while.  I like to visit this stream often and this caught my eye this morning. A broken piece of wire, jammed into the river bed that is collecting soft floating materials that tries to pass it as the river rushes madly to the ocean.  It is a very slender obstacle but it is making its' point of resistance to the dominant passing  rapid flow.  It is flexing in the current and the wind. The image spoke to me about my increasing natural reaction to buck the trend, go against the flow, resist conformity and control.  I am no longer a young person but this tendency seems to be growing in strength as I age. There is a need to question apparently unnecessary or irrational demands that are placed in my life course. Now that I reflect on this I have a wish that in the past as a much younger person, I had been more like that, less bidable and compliant -more secure in my own selfhood so that I could respond more flexibly to the things that came into my life.  But that time has passed and there is only the going forward time to claim.

Comments